Sunday, September 21, 2008

Trip to PA

A few weeks back my mom, sister and I traveled back east to see some sights. My sister works for Jet Blue and my cousin works for Marriot, so thanks to them it made for a very inexpensive trip. We hit Philadelphia first and took a double decker bus tour around the city to see all the sites and then walked around to see Betty Ross' house, theUS Mint, Independance Hall and the Libert Bell. You would think that if you worked at a historical site that you would brush up on your history so you don't go around telling people false information. My mom went to ask why the bell was cracked, cause we couldn't remember, and the guy gave her some lame story that it just cracked. Der...what a tard! Some poor soul that came half way around the to world to see the Liberty Bell went home and told everyone it just cracked. According to history it cracked the first time it was rung. We didn't ask anyone anymore questions about the history of things if we couldn't remember. Most importantly my sister said is that we had to get a philly cheese steak since we were after all in Philadelphia.

After that we spent the night in Valley Forge. They had a huge Crate & Barrel, which by the way is one of my all time favorite places to look around, so that was a bonus part of the trip. We ate a bakery called, The Corner Bakery which was fabulous. We were then off to Lancaster to take a look around Amish Country and then to Chocolate World in Hershey, PA. We took a trolley tour in Hershey and learned all about Mr. Hershey and the Hershey company and of course ate lots of chocolate! If you are in the are it is a fun little place to stop by and visit. Yes, my sister isn't really the shy type, if you couldn't tell. After Hershey we drove to Gettysburg and looked around for a while and then crashed at our hotel just outside of Washington DC. Overall, a very fun trip to just hang out with my sister and my mom. A good break for us all.

4 comments:

susette said...

Hip Hip Hooray, what a fun trip for you. All those cities are places Cooper has lived on his mission and it just stinks that he wasn't in any of them at the time so you could see him. Those are some pretty cute pictures. Linda doesn't look so shy either in those pictures. I'm glad you gals had a fun time. You deserve a break now and then my friend. You work much too hard for that BC company.

carolyn said...

I just want to know why Aunt Carolyn wasn't invited. I would have been a good person to have along!! OK, I get it!! Mother/daughter moment, (big sigh) I am looking foreward to April and another scrapbooking trip

Unknown said...

I have to echo with Aunt carolyn.
I just want to know why I wasn't invited! Yea, I would be a good person too!
Did you learn about liberty Bell's crack at school? Even I learned it in Japan. Here is my answer from my old memories.... LOL

Ordering of the bell from the Whitechapel Bell Foundry and first crack.
The bell was ordered in 1745 or 1751 by the Pennsylvania Provincial Assembly for use in the Pennsylvania State House (now known as Independence Hall) in Philadelphia. It was cast by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry in London and delivered to Philadelphia in late August/early September 1752 via the ship Hibernia. It cost £100, weighed 2,080 lbs, is twelve feet in the lip circumference, and three feet from the lip to the top. The following March, the bell was hung from temporary scaffolding in the square outside the State House. To the dismay of onlookers, the bell cracked during testing. Isaac Norris, speaker of the Pennsylvania Assembly, wrote "I had the mortification to hear that it was cracked by a stroke of the clapper without any other viollence [sic] as it was hung up to try the sound.

carolyn said...

Annaleesa, you blog is sad, you never write anything new. I know you do fun stuff, your Mom tells me so hmmmmmm get typing!!
and next trip Chikako and I would like to come!!