Today I sit in shock. It almost seems surreal. Did I really receive a phone call last night? Is it true that my dear friend really lost her young son? Is it really true? Will someone please pinch me and wake me up from this dream? And, yet I was never asleep......
Two words resounding in my head.....and the sobbing of a mother who just lost her child replay over and over in my head.
There is nothing that you can do, sit and wait, and wait some more. Details of the accident trickle in and you try to piece together the events of the day. Questions that fill your mind of what ifs, how comes, and the ultimate question why. And yet those questions don't really matter as they won't change the past.
Your heart aches for them, but there is really nothing you can do. So you take a step back and wait, wait and wait some more for if and when you need to step up. And yet, in their loss they open their home to all who come by and offer comfort to those that came to comfort them.
There are few moments in life where life seems to stand still, this seemed to be one of them.
If you can't find me at home there are only a few places my family can find me at and one of those places is over at my friends the Fishers. They have become a bit like my second family as she is always wanting to me eat or inviting me to eat (that lady can make anything with squash!) and we hang out often, her sons and husband would often razz me as soon as I stepped in the door. Of course, with my mouth I on occasion would fire something back. I do have to be pretty comfortable with people to shoot off my mouth so my friend could tell I was quite comfortable in her home.
A few memories:
I had my car totaled in an accident and had bought a new car. I drove it over to their house to show them and Porter asked if he could take it for a spin. I tossed him the keys, I think in disbelief to his mom, he ran out the door to take it for a spin. He always had the funniest comments. One in particular, he said "Annaleesa should just put an add out that says cooks good food, marry me." Funny kid....He would always have an instrument either playing, moving instruments around, buying or selling or mixing music on the computer. He would have me stand there and listen to his latest tune, which to me sounded a bit gibberish, but he was a very talented musician. He loved their cat....if he wasn't playing instruments he was messing with the cat. I better not write all he did with that cat cause of those animal activist, but you could always get a good laugh.
You meet people who forget you.You forget people you meet.But sometimes you meet those people you will never forget. Thank you to my friend whose family welcomed me into their home and allowed me know such a great guy.
1 comment:
We loved our little Porter the whole world and our hearts are broken at his passing. I love to hear other people's memories of the funny and cute things he did. He sure thought a lot of you too Annaleesa. Thanks for being a sweet friend to him.
Post a Comment